Friday, October 11, 2013

Learning to Surf

I have always wanted to try surfing and couldn't pass up an opportunity to learn in Hawaii.  I owe a big thanks to our new friends who insisted on teaching me to surf.  They totally went out of their way to make it happen.  This was one of the most memorable days I had while visiting the island.  


Here is Noah showing me some surfing techniques before getting in the water.  All I could think about was how the heck I was going to even be able to balance on the surfboard when in the ocean, not to mention surf.  I also just found out that there were tons of sharp, pointy sea urchins on the rocky bottom of the ocean where we were about to surf.  Oh great!




After being knocked around by a few waves, watching every step I took as not to step on any sea urchins, I finally made it on the surfboard and into the waves.


I did it!  I was actually able to sit on the surfboard and "look" like a surfer.  That was enough for me. :)



A perfect little swim hole for Joss, while mommy surfed.  Joss has become quite a swimmer on our trip.  Of course Erik was on the beach watching Joss and listening to Auty whine for about an hour and taking the best pics :)  


        

While sitting comfortably on my surfboard, feeling accomplished, Noah pushed me to the next level telling me to get ready for the wave that was coming.  Here I am turning my surfboard around ready to start paddling my arms, hoping I wasn't going to get pummeled by the wave and hit the ocean floor full of sea urchins.  




Instead of falling I actually stood up on my board.  I couldn't believe it!  What a rush it was to be standing.  And although this wave looks small in the photo, I swear it looked soooo much bigger in person :)  I had such a great time and will remember this day forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment